Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Two in Less than a Year?

Two, what you might ask? Two broken arms...Cambree got one last fall and now Sadie has a broken arm. Yup. Sadie. Poor baby. We were at the park and Cambree (or Brinley...they both blame each other) put her on a big spin toy. I looked and saw Cambree sitting behind Sadie and holding her on it so I thought that was safe. But I looked away and Sadie was brought to me crying. They said the toy was hot and that her legs were hurting. They looked fine, but she wouldn't stop crying. Finally, we left and the girls told me she fell off. That's a different story. Then, I was worried about a concussion. When we got home I noticed that every time I picked her up she'd scream so something was definitely wrong. I asked her where it hurt and she pointed to her arm, but I wasn't sure how much she understood me. I scheduled an appointment to see the Doctor in an hour and during that time she would cry/scream every 10 minutes. I felt so bad! So we get to the doctor and he says it's broken right above the elbow, after a lot of twisting and screaming. They give her a sling and he tells me they can't cast it because it would have to be a whole body cast. Not good news. But we need to go to the hospital to make sure it's broken. Of course it had to be down-pouring rain and we're soaked and Sadie is screaming the whole time.
We wait and wait some more to be seen by the radiologist. More screaming as they try to get a good picture of her arm. Then, we wait for a call from the doctor. He happens to be at the hospital and comes in to see us. Definitely broken like he thought and there's not a whole lot he can do. He gives her a pain prescription and sends us home...still no better than before. And it will be a month before it's all healed. There goes the summer.
Sleeping I knew would be awful and it was. She woke up every hour in pain, even after the medication. I'm so not ready for a newborn waking me up all hours of the night! Today has been a little better. She's definitely whiny (I would be too!) and I don't know what she wants most of the time since she still doesn't talk so well. So that's rough. We go back to the doctor to check up on her on Friday. I hope we can get a soft cast or a bandage or something to keep it more stable. It just doesn't seem like it will heal right...but what do I know?
Anyway, here are the sad, break-your-heart pictures from when we got home from the hospital. She's been watching a lot of TV. It takes her mind off the pain. Poor baby.


So sad with the tear and those big, sad eyes. :(
In other news...I DON'T have gestational diabetes! I had to take a 3 hour long, no food, 4 blood draw test to determine that. My first glucose test came back a little high, so I had to do the 3 hour test. So not fun. I thought I was going to pass out. But I'm so happy that I don't have it. That would be rough.
Also, Shawn got a new job...still at the University of Utah but now working with athletes in Financial Aid. So it's right up his alley and he's excited. He will be so good at it. So there's the silver lining, folks. :)
This post is a little out-of-order since this happened yesterday and I still need to blog about the 4th of July. That will come...

9 comments:

MyKel said...

poor little thing! I feel bad we just talked while she cried.

Andrea B. said...

Oh, what a pain, I'm so sorry. Hopefully it will get better soon!!

J and Company said...

Oh man that picture with the tear really is SO sad, poor baby and poor mommy. Hope they can put her in something to help it heal right!

Kris said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Sadie and poor you! That would be so hard to see your little one in that much pain and yet nothing you can do. I hope you can get SOME rest and hopefully she'll get feeling better.

Denise said...

Ooh, I didn't know about the job change. Congrats to Shawn! I hope the doctors are able to do something more for S on Friday, poor thing.

tracie said...

Poor thing. So sorry! Congrats on the new job.

Darci said...

She looks so so sweet with the tear in her eye. It is a sad picture but so cute at the same time. I'm glad you don't have gestational diabetes. I had to take the 3 hour also and it sucked.

Kelly said...

Poor Sadie! Those pictures just break your heart :( But congrats to Shawn, so exciting!

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

Poor baby! Those pictures are adorable, though!