Monday, November 15, 2010

Broken.

I can't believe I have a child with a broken arm. I thought it would be WAY more tramatic than this and I've never broken anything so I didn't know what to expect. I thought the bone would be sticking out or the hand limp. Nope it looked fine to me. So fine that we didn't take her to the doctor until the next day.
Here's the LONG story...I can never tell a short story it seems. It all started on Thursday afternoon when she wanted to have a "party". So she had a few friends over and they were partying down in the basement. The boys were jumping off the couch onto pillows and Cambree followed along. She said she hit the wall with her arm so I just thought it might get a good bruise. She wouldn't stop crying so I sent her friends home and the party was officially over...before it really ever started.
She cried off and on all evening. I just thought she was being a major baby. About a month ago she twisted her ankle and was babying it for a few days, like crawling around. Shawn was pushing on it and moving her wrist around. She winced a couple of times and cried. She said she wanted to do it. She felt her arm and said, "My bone isn't broken! I can feel it!"
The next day I took her to preschool and told her teacher that she hurt her wrist and was really babying it. When I picked her up her teacher said that I should probably take her in to let the doctor check it out. I thought I'd better listen to her teacher! (and it was actually looking a TINY bit swollen) So we went to the doctor and she thought it might be a buckle fracture which is common when kids land and catch themselves with their hand when they fall. So maybe she didn't break it when she hit the wall and maybe when she landed. The doctor sent us over to the hospital to get x-rays. When the x-ray tech showed us the pictures I asked him what he thought and he said he couldn't tell me anything but that she had a hard fall. I was still unsure what that meant. We took the x-rays back to the doctor's office and sure enough, it was broken. When they asked her what color she wanted she picked red. I thought that was weird since they had hot pink and purple. After the nurse left to get the red cast ready I asked her why she picked red. She said cuz the pink one is hot. No! It's not hot! It's just bright pink. So I got the nurse and told her she wanted pink. So now she's happy to have all the attention and everyone's been signing it. She'll have it for a month. So hopefully it's not too smelly by then. :)
And to make our weekend even more interesting, I pulled out her first tooth! It's been loose for a while but she didn't want me to pull it out. I told her to just keep loosening it and it will practically fall out. That it did. It was barely hangin' on. That's the kind I like to pull. :) She was so excited to get a visit from the tooth fairy.

3 comments:

tracie said...

That is what happened to Rocky. He fell and landed on his hand. Im sorry.

J and Company said...

Man Cambree is having quite the week! I am afraid the same thing is going to happen to me and having a child break an arm because I've never broken anything either. But at least she's smiling in those pictures, so good job!

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't a serious break. Poor Cambree!