Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hancock Family Reunion

Oh boy, Oh boy! This could be a long one. I'm thinking I'll have to break this up. I'll try and keep it short, but I don't know if that's possible. ;)
In August, we had an awesome Hancock Family Reunion in Monterey California. Shawn's sister, Melanie, planned it all (and did a GREAT job of it! VERY organized) and is the only one left that's living there. But we all don't mind going back to see how things have changed.
We left Saturday morning and traveled all day. We stayed the night in a hotel somewhere by Reno. Sunday morning we traveled some more. We broke up the drive a little and drove through Cupertino where Shawn lived all his life. We went to a fun park there and saw his old house.
We arrived in Marina (about 15 minutes from Monterey), checked into our condo that we shared with Melanie, Moe, and Casey, and then went to a church for a little fireside and testimony meeting. Melanie did a great talk about forgiveness and then we had a testimonies. It really set the right tone to start out the reunion. Barbara got up and cried as she testified of our Savior and how much her family means to her. She never cries so then we were all doomed. Even Shawn! In the 9 years we've been married, he's never shed a tear. And he still didn't but you know when your voice gets all emotional? Yeah, he did that. So I'm counting it. ;)
Monday-We all got up early and went to the beach for group pictures. BTW, our condos were right on the beach. It was pretty sweet! Then, my SIL did my family's pictures. She did a great job. It was actually pretty cold but some of the kids played at the beach for a bit before lunch, but after lunch we all headed to the heated pool. Then, we had pizza and a movie night. The kids were in one condo watching a movie, teens in another and adults in another. It's nice our baby monitor reached all the condos. :) We watched "Dan in Real Life". Always a fav.
This photo still needs some photoshopping. Like the white pipe needs to be taken out. :) But it's a great photo!
So I wanted a nice picture of Shawn and I...it didn't work out too well. I guess we weren't "feelin' it".
I took a few of my girls. Check out more of our photos on my photo blog. :)
Here's everyone that got in the pool.
Tuesday-A jam-packed day! We went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Shawn and I went there right after we were married. It was fun, but much funner with kids. They had a great time! I was surprised that they actually liked the exhibits and buttons to push more than seeing actual fish. Hmm.
Brinley did love watching the bat rays and wanted to touch one. She waited and waited and waited. The one time it came by she was too scared to touch it. Oh well. At least she could touch star fish and urchins at the touch pool.
 I could look at the jellyfish all day.
The Sea Horse exhibit was a hit.

After the Aquarium, we all met up at a nearby, AWESOME park. One of Shawn's aunts and uncle met us there along with a cousin and his family. It was REALLY cold and we didn't prepare for that, so we pretty much had dinner and left. Which was sad cuz the park had tons of climbing equipment, slides, a maze, an old train, etc.
All the grandkids!
Wednesday-It was actually a nicer morning with the sun out. We all played at the beach in the morning. We dug for sand crabs, played beach volleyball, water balloon toss, and an egg hunt in the sand.
 After lunch we all headed over to a church for the talent show. What's a family reunion without one? My MIL read a poem, we did a little music skit that was pretty funny, Bryce and Jody did a skit, Melanie and Moe sang while Casey played the drums...he's very good for a 4YO, my niece Jordyn danced, and Val recited a scary story to the kids. It was cute. Afterward, we played the "Shoe" game. I guess it's a tradition in the family but its the first time I've played it. It was funny cuz the ones that were left in the game were Shawn and his siblings. They're the best!
After the Talent Show, we had dinner then played games.
Thursday-Was a free day. Shawn planned to see some of his old friends from Elementary to High School, Jeremy and Ryan. We went over to Ryan's house and just visited. It's fun to hear old stories. The girls loved their dog. Sadie didn't mind that it licked her all over.
We left and headed to Santa Cruz for some serious beach time. I was planning on getting in my swim suit and everything...it's just been to cold...BUT it was the same story. Too cold. We all were sitting on the beach huddled up in our jackets and blankets. Only Brinley and Shawn braved the water and said it was fine once you were numb to it. Nice.
Oh, Brinley and I got a little lost as we were trying to find the beach that everyone was at. I was getting really worried we wouldn't find Shawn or anyone and I didn't have my phone. Brinley said she wasn't worried cuz she prayed. So I said a little prayer and we found Shawn shortly after that. Heavenly Father is always watching out for us.
That night we came home and went in the hot tub. Oh so nice!
Friday
Saturday-The wedding day! We headed down to the San Diego Temple (both the LA and Newport Beach temples were closed and the San Diego Temple had scaffolding all over...not great planning) for the wedding. The kids played at a nearby park since they would be bored waiting at the temple. And wait we did! We waited and waited for Layne. The temple workers didn't even know where he was. After a 1/2 hour they found him. They were talking to the temple president. If I were Breanne, I would be freaking out that Layne was getting cold feet. :) The ceremony was beautiful. Waiting for them outside was not. Can you believe that we were cold in San Diego in August? It was crazy!
We did a few pictures and then headed back to LA for the wedding luncheon. It was at a golf course clubhouse. We had yummy Mexican food and watermelon drinks? Yeah, it was interestingly good. The reception was really fun! They had good food and then a really fun dance party! We decided that our next reunion we need to have a dance party. The Hancocks really know how to get DOWN!!
Sunday-A few of the Hancocks already left to go home. So a few of us went to visit Shawn's brother, Kyle. He is in a mental hospital and I've actually only visited him once. Kids can't come so they played at a (kinda scary) nearby park. (Oh, I need to back up a little bit. My gracious SIL, Jody, said she would take Sadie so we could go to Disneyland the next day without Sadie. It was SO great to go without her! Jody traveled all the way back to Utah with her! That's a real sacrifice! They left Sunday morning. It was sad leaving Sadie but I knew she was in good hands.) Anyway, Shawn parent's, Shawn's sister and BIL, another one of Shawn's sisters and BIL and us all got to take turns seeing Kyle during visiting hours. He's definitely a Hancock. I wish I could've taken a picture to show what he looks like. He seems to be doing good but it's sad. We just can't wait until he can get out of there.
That night, we just hung out in our hotel room. Melanie took the kids to the pool for a little bit...Oh! and I took some pictures of their family since we didn't get time to at the beach. The beach would've been much better, but you do what you gotta do!
Casey loves to perform. He's so silly sometimes. Here's a superhero pose:
Ok...so Disneyland will definitely have to be a separate post. I'm tired of writing!

7 comments:

J and Company said...

How do you always have your girls in the cutest clothes for pictures?? I need to learn your secrets, because I always feel like I am searching our closets for cute stuff and fail. Looks like such a fun trip!

Missy said...

Well I've been planning it since March so I've had a little time to think about it. ;)

MyKel said...

I agree I struggle with clothes too. But I do love your new header!

Sants said...

Wait ... Layne got married? Lynnette's Layne? Too bad we aren't family - we might have known about it. Oh wait ... we are family!

I LOVE the pictures, the colors, every, everything about this trip and the photos. And everyone! You guys are amazing!

Mandy Summers said...

I love the new picture and all the family beach pictures! I looked at your photo blog too. Darling! The one with you and Shawn is funny! I guess you weren't in the romantic mood. But I love it!

Darci said...

LOVE the pictures of your family on the beach!

Kelly said...

Your pictures are so beautiful!! I love your family pictures the best, especially the one from behind. You guys all look so good!