Monday, May 10, 2010

Just Keepin' it Real for all the Mothers

So I had a GREAT Mother's Day. Shawn made breakfast and dinner. We had my parents and Grandma over. They came to church to watch the girls sing and Cambree give a talk. I do, however, need to interrupt this sequence for a small conversation Cambree had with my Grandma. As soon as she saw her she said, "Hi Great-Grandma. You're old." My Grandma politely agrees that she is old. Then Cambree says, "Great-Grandma? You're going to die." Oh boy! What do you say to that! I just tried to smooth it over by saying that she wouldn't die. Cambree's been on a kick lately of embarrassing me with the things she's been saying to close relatives. Nice...
Anyway, after church, my family came over and we all just relaxed and had dinner (yes, Shawn cooked for EVERYONE!! With a little help from the other men). We were all showered with lovely cards and gifts. It was the best. I wish every day could be Mother's Day.
Oh, but then at the end of the day, we decided to watch a talk on BYU TV. It was all about raising kids and I realized how much I'm doing wrong. I guess you've got to have the guilt sometime during Mother's Day it seems...
Now I'm listening to Cambree in bed saying, "Oh sorry! I've got stinky gas." "Oh sorry, Daddy, I've got stinky gas."

9 comments:

Kris said...

Sounds like Shawn is a great hubby!

Nat said...

I love that girl. I am glad that other kids say supper embarrassing things too.

Denise said...

Yay for good mother's days and good hubbies! And yay for embarrassing daughters, because they give us stuff to blog about, lol!

J and Company said...

What did the byu thing say? I think you're a great mom. :)

Missy said...

The BYU thing talked about permissive and coercive and authoritative parenting. I felt like I was doing all the permissive stuff and all the coercive stuff and not enough authoritative stuff. My parenting just needs work, just like everyone else...I hope!

Helen Macfarlane said...

I'm laughing so hard at her apologizing to her dad for having stinky gas. That is so funny!

When I was about her age, I went up to my uncle and poked him in his fat belly and said "My daddy's fatter than you are!" Hey, just tellin' it like it is!

Tara said...

Cambree sounds like such a fire cracker. :) I love it! Nothing like a good reality check every now and then.

esperanza said...

That is funny about Cambree - just have to keep a sense of humor about everything, right? :D As for motherhood guilt, yeah, don't know about that yet, but from what I see when I see you occasionally at your house is a glimpse at a happy husband and kids and a cute house, so I think you must be doing pretty well!

Angie said...

Cambree is so funny! That sounds like something Dylan would say...

I agree with Krystal. You're doing a great job. None of us parent perfectly, but we try to do the best we can in our own way. And we can always try to improve our ways, but our own ways will always be different than other peoples...and we still raise wonderful children!

All we need is love...all we need is looooovvveee.