Saturday, April 10, 2010

Shawn's Birthday

Well, things didn't go COMPLETELY as planned, but pretty close. Shawn's easy-going about his birthday anyway, so it didn't bother him when there was a bump-in-the-road, literally. But I'm a little ahead of myself here.
Tuesday was Shawn's real birthday and he went to work. Great birthday.
Since it's Spring Break, I took the girls with some friends to the Edutainment Center in West Valley. Never heard of it until a friend blogged about it. It's WAY the crap out there, but it was worth it for only $2 a kid. They had a grocery store, village, movie theater, race track, and McD's-like playland but way bigger. The girls had a blast!
On our way to pick up Shawn from work, I got a flat tire. Why does that have to happen to me when I have 3 little kids in the car, one of which is a baby who hasn't had an afternoon nap? So, I call Shawn to see if we have any roadside assistance. Nope. And we will be getting it soon. Then I think to call my dad since his work is really close to where I was. As I was on the phone, Cambree and Brinley said a prayer. I didn't hear it, but they said they prayed. As soon as I got off the phone, a truck pulled up to help. There are still good people in the world, aren't there? He gets started as I wait for my dad to come. The jack doesn't work, but the guy works at an equipment rental place and has one brought one over. In the meantime, the Incident Management truck guy pulls over and changes my tire really fast. Then, I get a call from my dad wondering where I am. I asked him if he saw the line-up of cars on the side of the road and he had but didn't think it was me. When you just remember to ask Heavenly Father, he is just waiting to pour out help. He WANTS to help us. We just have to ask. I'm so grateful for that lesson and for my girls to remember to pray. They are so great!
We finally got to Shawn's work and then went out to dinner for his birthday. We all enjoyed his birthday dessert. :) We were going to do something after but I think we'd had enough excitement for one day.

9 comments:

John & Jennifer Savage said...

That place looks really fun! It probably wouldn't be too far out for me! I'll definitely be checking it out! Sorry about the flat tire. That's kind of my fear. I know I've learned how to do it myself, but I just don't think I would be able to do it. Thankfully we do have roadside assistance (I had to get a flat tire--but I made it to Les Schwab thankfully--before I checked to see if we had it!) And that dessert looks delicious. Where did you guys go?

Denise said...

Um, whatever that sin-in-a-mug dessert is, I want some.

happy mom said...

yeah, I want more info on the way out there place that looked clean and inexpensive! very cool! makes me think of the childrens museum when it was in that old building on 3rd west.

tell your husband Happy Birthday and I feel for you with the no road side assistance. I just don't think if matters if you know how to do it yourself or not as a woman, when you have your kids with you I just don't think it would happen. crazy day, sorry. glad you got yummy food.

Mel said...

So glad you found the Edu Center. Fun huh? Makes for a great few hours of running around. Glad your hubby had a good birthday, but stinks about the flat tire! I'm so glad you got help. Thanks to the kids for their prayers, right? :)

Missy said...

Well we went to Sizzler. Shawn wanted the girls to try shrimp, since I don't like the stuff. They loved it.
And that dessert...yeah, we had a great waitress that made it up special just for him. :)
I think the Edu Center is on like 3100 S and 5400 W. It really wouldn't be far for you guys. Tell me when you go!

Helen Macfarlane said...

Somehow when you told me that story before I didn't realize it was Shawn's birthday!

I'm with Denise! And I'm laughing so hard that the waitress made it up for him! That's awesome.

Thanks for the fun movie date this week. Sorry I had to run off so fast!

happy mom said...

Yeah, I will have to look at my schedule and plan a day, I would love to go, and would love to meet you there if you are willing. I am loving the price, everything (for me) feels outrageous in pricing.

Thanks for the info.

It makes a huge difference having a great waitress/waiter!

Tara said...

Whew! What a day! I'm glad it all turned out good in the end (and by good in the end I mean that dessert looks amazing) :) Happy birthday, Shawn!

Angie said...

Happy Birthday, Shawn!

Man, I sure hate flat tires. I'm the only one it happens to, also. Never to Rob. And even though I know how to change a tire, I'm not strong enough to get those lug nuts off. So I have to get help anyway. That reminds me...I need to check the air pressure in my tires...