Monday, April 5, 2010

A Call to Arms

General Conference was really great! Not only was I with my family where we ate (a little too much) and played games, but we got to hear from the Prophet and his apostles. I felt like a majority of the talks were geared towards family-making families better. I felt a little nervous (because the times are getting so wicked and am I really teaching my girls to have a testimony?) but also empowered. I can do something! I've always wanted to start the day off better and place the Armor of God on my kids so they can face the day and make good choices. In many of the talks they commented about having scripture study in the morning. We (more like I or the kids for that matter!) could never get up when Shawn gets up so I didn't really know what to do about it. But Shawn doesn't HAVE to be there, I can do it with the kids. So I've decided to have a little devotional in the morning while we eat breakfast. I usually watch the Today show (you know, get my world news fix) while we eat, but having scripture study will be so much better for me and the kids.
I hope I can do this. I really think I can...and that's why I'm writing it down! Now that it's out there, I've really got to do it! :)
What did you get out of General Conference?

7 comments:

J and Company said...

You know what's funny? The thing that I keep thinking about was something I didn't even see! John told me that Elder Uchtdorf said during Priesthood session that "impatience is a form of selfishness." Well I am the most impatient person ever and it is something I have thought about a lot recently. So I have taken that to heart and am trying to change my ways.

Missy said...

Wow. That IS something to think about. Thanks for sharing, Jenn. And I don't think you're very impatient. :)

tracie said...

I am going to hold you to it. JK. I have been thinking the same thing.

fabules said...

I got the same thing out of conference. I found myself asking why out of everything I have taught my kids why I haven't spent more time talking to them about their own testimonies. I am going to really work on that in many ways. It takes me a half hour just to get my kids up for prayer in the morning and then they are still half a sleep when we have it, so I am still going to keep scriptures at night. I commend you for doing it in the morning.

I love the pictures by the way. She is beautiful!

Missy said...

Yeah, luckily we have 2 tracks here and Brinley's on the late track so we really do have plenty of time in the morning to do scripture study.
Thanks for sharing!

Angie said...

I just felt so empowered by the talks. I loved the focus on the family...and not just the nice stuff that families are forever, but the [i]responsibilities[/i] of families. It was awesome to hear that we, as parents and not the church and not outside teachers, are the most responsible for our children's understanding of morals, values, scriptures, recognizing the Spirit, education in general (Elder Ballard's talk about how his mom continued to teach him after he came home from school), modesty, the true value of womanhood, pure love and not lust, the Atonement, etc, etc! And I loved the promises made over and over again, if we teach them by word and by deed, our children will stay pure and remain righteous! I loved Pres Eyring's message about keeping our children on the Straight and Narrow by starting when they are young (to help them recognize the Spirit) and early correction as they grow.

Anyway...I just loved everything. Many things they said are totally in line with things I've been thinking, and it's always great when that happens!

happy mom said...

That is good to hear, and knowing that you are on the late track makes me feel better because all I have been able to think is that I am going to need to wait until all my kids are in school and a little older so I can wake them up at 6:30ish and not feel like it is taking away from their precious always too little sleep. but I am going to be better about a good family prayer in the morning rather than the rushed one over breakfast. I would love to hear your update. hope it goes well.