Saturday, April 5, 2008

Happy Birthday, Shawny Wawny!

WARNING: REALLY LONG POST! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

It's Shawn's 30th Birthday today so we must celebrate! And celebrate we did! (Because he's so OLD and going bald, he wanted a REALLY short haircut! I was laughing the whole time I was cutting it, but he actually thought it looked alright...Whew!)


On Friday, he had his choice of what to do for our date night. There weren't any good movies out (which is ALWAYS what he picks!) so we went bowling instead! It's been a little while since we've done that together, and I'm happy to bowl cuz it's the ONE sport that I can actually compete with him in! (Stats: Shawn-125, 145, 123 Me-104, 121, 139) He won the first two games but I won the last one with a score of 139...possibly the best I've ever gotten! So I was a happy camper and so was he! We went to one of his favorite restaurants, Bajio. He was happy with his "little" kids meal. They really pack their kids meals! We had Heidi babysitting (we switch with her) and said we could be out longer...so we went to DI and found some things. You know those Book of Mormon Living Scriptures movies? We scored 3 for only $2 each! Instead of $25 each or something! We still made it home early enough to go home and watch a rented movie (I am Legend, which he's seen and I haven't). Yeah, we're cheap! But he said it was a fun birthday night!

Saturday was General Conference and we went to my parents' house to watch it. My brother and his wife and baby came from Orem and my Grandma came for it. We had lots of people there and enjoyed being with family and playing games! Here's my cute nephew, Justus! He's so smily!


Sunday we also watched General Conference. I liked the afternoon session the most! I loved Elder Bednar's talk about praying with purpose. "Pray in faith, and then act." Too many times we pray with faith, but then it doesn't happen and it's because we aren't acting! Elder Zwick of the Seventy had a great one too about standing strong even if it's not popular. He said something like, "The wicked laugh at us (talking about the Tree of Life vision) to make themselves feel better." He said it much better than that but I didn't write it down so I forgot it. Elder Ballard's talk was great about young mothers and to hear about his experience chasing Cheerios in church! It made me feel better about the mundane tasks I sometimes do without the appreciation.
After Conference, I had to get Shawn out of the house so we could surprise him for his party! I told him I forgot the frosting for the cake so he had to go back home to get it. We quickly decorated the house and some more people came right on time for the surprise! I all worked out so perfectly and he had no clue! (I'm so retarded and turned the camera when I was filming! Duh! It's not like a camera! The whole picture will be turned sideways!!)


We had a progressive dinner where we went to my cousin, Paul, and his wife, Lindsay's house for appetizers, then to the Healds for soup and salad, and then back to my parents' house for the main course and cake. At each house he had to put something old on...a cane, glasses, a neck brace (I really don't know about that one...I was out of ideas!), and dentures (or Halloween vampire teeth!) He was a pretty good sport about it...I don't know if he looked older, but he did look funny! We played games and called it a night! I've never done a surprise party or had one or ever been a part of one, so I really didn't know if I could pull it off. I wasn't expecting a big reaction from Shawn and didn't really get one, but everyone had fun. He said no one's ever gone to all that trouble before, so it was good to do that for him!
I am so lucky to have Shawn as a husband. He was born on April 6th, thus sharing the same birthday as our Savior. I'm in no way saying he's the Savior, but that he strives to be like him, as we all do, and has always been proud to share that birthday. Shawn is so patient, understanding, helpful, a great conversationalist, good worker, honest, fun, and a great dad. He loves our girls so much and it often makes me smile with how he jokes and plays with them. I'm so glad they will have a great relationship with their dad. I am also so glad Shawn kept on keepin' on when I dumped him those many times! I love you so much, honey!

11 comments:

Shawn said...

So Missy wants me to comment, since I never do. I will have to say it was a good surprise and I am glad she went to all the trouble. I have never had a surprise birthday party before. But, I hope to never go through that embarassment again. I feel awkward getting so much attention. Missy is a great person/wife. That is why I went through all that trouble to stick with her, even when she was SO indecisive when we were dating! She is more than I ever hoped for.

- Shawn

Garcia's said...

WOW you had a busy/fun weekend. Happy Birthday Shawn. Conference was great. I enjoyed the last session as well. The talks were great. Glad Shawn enjoyed his birthday party.

Tooele Brezoff Family said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend!

Angie said...

Happy Birthday, Shawn! The video was great...even though I had to crane my neck. I could tell that you were embarrassed. But at least it will be memorable!
Big 3-0. That progressive dinner was also a really great idea...and how he had to put on all that old geezer stuff! So funny! I'm glad you guys had such a wonderful weekend!
I love you all!!

Jody Hancock said...

Surprise, surprise, we forgot your birthday Shawn! That has NEVER happened! We'll make it up to you! Maybe we can meet at the parents, leave the kids, and take you out to dinner. Sounds like you had fun. 30 isn't old so just remember to enjoy your 30's. Mine are quickly coming to an end, so 30 actually is sounding younger and younger!

Tara said...

Missy, you are so creative! What a fun way to celebrate. I'll have to tuck those ideas back in my mind for Joseph's next big one. Happy Birthday, Shawn!

Sants said...

I, like Jodi, remember when 30 was old, and now, it is just so young! Happy Birthday to you! ANd good job, Missy! I got some great ideas for Larry's 40th birthday party this December!

echolsfamily said...

What a fun way to celebrate! Happy Birthday Shawn! Your new blog layout looks really cute, and I think your family pictures turned out great!! I wish we weren't so busy before we moved; I would've loved to have you take some family pictures of us. We really need to get some done soon!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Shawn! Sounds like you guys had fun. I have a good movie suggestion, "Leatherheads". We saw it this weekend and really liked it, very funny and lighthearted. I love bowling though, it has been forever for us.

nicole said...

Happy birthday shawn! You are sooo old!!! J/K I love the surprise party missy. And by the way, I like the hair, shawn can pull off a short style!

Chrissy said...

Happy (kinda late) Birthday, Shawn!